Feline Friends' original web site was built using the BT Community Kit and whilst useful, it was becoming more difficult to maintain and lacked many of the features of modern web sites.
About Feline Friends
Feline Friends is a non profit charitable organisation established in 2006 and dedicated to the rescue and adoption of unwanted cats and kittens in the Sunderland area of the UK.
They rescue unwanted cats foster them and then look for suitable adoption homes.
The Project: Feline Friends web site redevelopment
Animal charities rely exclusively on the generous donations of members of the public to be able to continue their work. For rehoming organisations like Feline Friends being able to engage with their supporters, attract volunteers and get rescued animals rehomed quickly is as equally important.
The design of a web site therefore had to be visually attractive, allow the latest news and cats to be forefront and to allow their supporters to engage with the information.
Feline Friends now has a responsive and feature rich web site.
The main features of the site are:
- A Home page with the latest and featured cats shown clearly and prominently
- Cat bio and descriptions
- Cats for rehoming can have multiple images and video
- Views of the latest and featured cats
- Online rehoming application forms
- Supporters can register with the site to receive newsletters or to post comments
- Mailing lists
- Social sharing through ShareThis and 'likes' through Facebook, Twitter and PInterest
- News and newsletter publishing
- Events listing and calendar for fundraising events
- RSS feeds
- SEO submissions to search engines Integrated analytics reporting on visitor numbers and behaviour
Project factsIn terms of the effort, the new site took three weeks to complete. Because the charity is run solely by volunteers and a significant amount of work was required to get the content up to date, the new site went live approximately four months after initial discussions took place. We worked as and when Feline Friends needed us to.
Simply Components were professional to the end. Not only did they fully scope our requirements, but they proposed enhanced design features to ensure that we got the best out of modern, responsive web design. The result was a user-friendly, eye-catching website which showcases our charity’s work.